Saturday, July 17, 2010

Digital Native or Digitally Naive?



It was refreshing reading through Marc Prensky's articles about teaching to digital natives. As defined, I'm a blend of digital immigrant and digital native. Although young enough to witness integration of technology into daily life, some pieces of technology proliferation I shy away from. For example, email is a fantastic way to stay in touch, however, I deleted my Facebook account because I felt overly connected. Another aspect of blending is I turn to the internet first to answer questions. However, proofing a term paper in hard-copy with a red pen helps immensely for catching errors. I think that a lot of my hesitance about technology comes from how my teachers modeled its use in the classroom. Some of my experiences related directly to Pensky's assertion that, "... it generally isn’t that Digital Natives can’t pay attention, it’s that they choose not to." One high school class offered a stimulating hands-on minds-on environment for a digital native, but most of my college classes used technology to create a yawning experience.

While in high school, my most memorable hands-on use of digital technology centered around a Sophomore English project. Each student was to research a different country, and create a final presentation in PowerPoint that included transitions, sound, video, and pictures. Our English teacher knew nothing about the program, we went to the computer lab twice a week, and meanwhile progress targets were passing by. Looking back on it, the ordeal was a bit stressful for my classmates and teacher. However, every student was pushed to the edge of their ability and real learning took place. We all exited well versed in PowerPoint and vividly remember the class. Prensky mentions in his article Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants that, "As educators, we need to be thinking about how to teach both Legacy and Future content in the language of the Digital Natives." My English teacher, although not perfect, taught us legacy skills of research, writing, and presentation while mixing in technology application. I still talk to members of that class today who have had opportunities open up for them because of the technology application from Sophomore English class.

My college technology experience was a real step backward. Not in what technology was available, but in application. Classrooms were equipped with flat screen monitors built into the front wall between two white boards. Also, most teachers used PowerPoint presentations. However, many operated with a heavy digital immigrant "accent" and proceeded to READ FROM THEIR SLIDES without adding additional stimulating tidbits. In addition to being bored near insanity, there was almost no point in coming to class in the first place as the presentations were accessible online. On the other hand, one teacher didn't use digital technology at all but rather multi-colored board markers. The classroom was interactive, interesting, fun, and very challenging. We had questions coming at us all the time as we tried to figure things out. By the end of class there was a story on the board. I really enjoyed going to Aerodynamics class each day.

I think that Prensky has valid points regarding using technology to enable learning. He hasn't changed my mind about the use of technology, but rather cemented ideas that I've been thinking about for a while. One area that I worry about is that I'm a more linear thinker. It's going to take focused effort on my part to craft lessons in a more parallel manner with bits of randomness thrown in...all while aiming to convey information in an engaging way. Although not in the classroom yet, I care deeply about the learning of all my students. There also isn't much of an option other than to jump into the future with techniques that work with today's learners. As Pensky said, "So hi there, I’m the tuned-out kid in the back row with the headphones. Are you going to engage me today or enrage me? The choice is yours."

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you when it comes to boring PowerPoint's! I have even recently sat through a few for so called professional development! The presentation was given by one of our TOSA's, teachers on special assignment. She is supposed to be an example of good teaching techniques! It was so bad, I actually left!!

    ReplyDelete